Update on Penang Basic to Intermediate Musculoskeletal MRI and Ultrasound Course for Radiologists March 15th to 18th 2017 Key features:
1. Faculty to delegates ratio is maintained at 1 faculty to 6 participants only.
2. 150 MSK MRI and MSK Ultrasound videos to complement the Lectures given at this meeting. The Ultrasound pathology using static images and videos in a new teaching method will only be taught after one has gone through the practical session and therefore is understands the various imaging planes and images expected of normal ligaments, tendons , muscles and other structures. Then the abnormal pathology will be appreciated immediately as one has already been accustomed to seeing the normal appearance in the standard planes during the practical session. This will lead to a huge appreciation of pathology without need of models with pathology. It is also envisaged that we will have an Ultrasound guided needle technique station using phantoms to practise needle techniques . The delegates interested in interventional should ask the facilitators how they position for interventional procedures at the end of each practical session for each joint.
3. Focus on how we really solve problems in patients in MSK symptoms using one or other modality or both MSK MRI and USS . Very practical . One does not use only MSK MRI or MSK USS and you will be taught which modality is better for which indication for accuracy of diagnosis. For instance it is far more accurate to use Ultrasound for detection of ankle ligament tendon and ligament tears than MRI as these structures are very small on MRI and often not clearly visualised in the 3mm slices but seen very well on ultrasound and function can be tested with dynamic manouveres.
4. Accomodation rates we have made same rate as last year despite increase in costs and new implementation of GST. No commissions are taken by the conference organisers and light breakfast is included for those who do not take the breakfast package for those staying at Holiday Inn. Credit card number is requested but not charged until you turn up for check in and you can cancel hotel booking up to 72 hours before check in with no penalty.
]5. For the practical sessions you will be trained at either Basic level or Intermediate Level. Basic level means you have not attended any Basic MSK Ultrasound course and are not doing MSK USS weekly. Intermediate means you have attended a Basic MSK Ultrasound Course and are practising MSK ultrasound weekly on patients.
6. The course enables a radiologist to be able to report MSK MRI accurately for all common pathology as the course concentrates on reporting 95% of common pathology well . At the end of the course one can also perform basic MSK USS well and make diagnosis of main and common pathology of most joints. MSK USS often identifies the real cause of the patients current symptoms rather than MRI which may be non specific myriad of new or old abnormalities .
7. This course forms a good base to latter attend more advanced courses . Global now runs an advanced course with more difficult MRI cases shown(see website) and more hands on practise with demonstrators to show you what you want to learn and achieve . Most MRI courses today are fascinated by some of the new ideas on various pathology and anatomy but may not concentrate on bread and butter reporting of MSK MRI cases of all the joints. Today the weakness I notice is mistakes in bread and butter reporting of MRI Shoulder, Knee and Ankle, Elbow and Wrist and inability to use MSK ultrasound to solve problems more accurately than MRI in many situations saving time and costs.
By going through the lectures and then the MSK MRI and MSK USS videos you will learn to report about 95% of all pathology in MSK MRI and perform MSK ultrasound which is the solid base you need before you attend the Advanced courses . It is much easier to understand what they are teaching after attending the Penang course and reading the journal articles on MSK pathology also becomes so much easier to understand as well. It is like a new world opens to you and you are no longer afraid of reporting MSK MRI cases and learning the new skills of doing MSK Ultrasound.
In the Radiology section of the website are all the documents you need to apply for the course and also provided in one of the links is the accomodation form you should use .
Professor Dr John George
FRCR Course Director , Penang 2017 Radiology Course